We are looking for an NMR spectroscopist to join our Chemical, Biological and Radiological (CBR) Division who can bring expertise in the area of NMR spectroscopy, primarily in the analysis of solution state samples.
You will work within an integrated Analytical Chemistry Capability, delivering routine analyses, short and longer term research and operational support which directly resolves a dynamic stakeholder requirement for defendable, evidence based advice to inform tactical or strategic planning across Defence, Security and International partners.
- A team player who enjoys working with others
- Someone who is keen to develop their personal and professional skills through training and mentorship
- Someone who is creative and enjoys problem solving
In this role you will:
- Provide timely technical support to laboratory based research, analysis and evaluation of novel methodologies to help inform customer decision-making
- Provide technical leadership, initially at the day-to-day laboratory level, including planning, experimental design, carrying out, developing and reporting on projects to customers
- Provide clear and precise briefs, both written and verbally, on project outcomes to support science and technology decisions for Dstl and its customers
- Meet all appropriate health and safety legislation and standards
- Handle and/or prepare samples, some of which have extreme pharmacological properties
- Perform routine cryogen filling and instrument troubleshooting
- Meet requirements for maintenance of United Kingdom Accreditation Service accreditation.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- Understanding of the theoretical background to nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy
- Proven ability to work well in a team
- Practical experience in the use of nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy
• Required to work in open plan office and laboratory environments
• Expected to wear personal protective equipment
• Occasional travel to other parts of the business, industry and academic institutions
Please see the attached role profile for further information
Dstl recognises the importance of diversity and inclusion as people from diverse background bring fresh ideas. We are committed to building an inclusive working environment in which each employee fulfils their potential and maximises their contribution
- A BSc in a physical sciences subject (or equivalent industrial experience)
- An MSc or PhD (or equivalent industrial experience) specifically in NMR
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
• Working Together
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
• Troubleshooting - This role will require troubleshooting skills to overcome technical problems. Please give two examples of when you have used initiative and problem-solving skills.
• Please detail what interests you about the role and how you believe you meet the knowledge, skills and experience requirements.
Things you need to know
Successful candidates must pass a disclosure and barring security check.
Successful candidates must meet the security requirements before they can be appointed. The level of security needed is security check.
Open to UK nationals only.
This job is not open to candidates who hold a dual nationality.
PLEASE NOTE: We strongly recommend that you do not provide your bank account details when applying for a job. If you see a vacancy on LGBT Media requesting bank account details please email email@example.com