Space Situational Awareness Technical Lead
Dstl Portsdown West, Fareham
About the job
£39,716 - £53,422
£39,000 - £53,000 depending on experience
Can you work as part of a highly skilled, multi-disciplinary team applying state of the art science and technology to help protect the UK Armed Forces and our international allies? Are you passionate about using your skills for the design and development of future Space Situational Awareness (SSA) systems and architectures for the UK MOD?
Working closely with other members of our SSA Team, you will be responsible for leading work packages, providing technical analysis and advice to stakeholders within the field of Astrodynamics applied to Surveillance and Tracking of man-made Resident Space Objects (RSOs).
You'll provide leadership of work packages to deliver R&D in the field of Surveillance and Tracking of resident Space Objects, including the following:
• Defining technical projects, tasking and leading teams of scientists to deliver SSA.
• The characterisation of RSOs to predict future behaviour, re-entry prediction, and satellite warning for wider MOD users.
• This will also support the sustainment of the Group’s Space capability.
• Ideally you should already have had relevant experience in modelling and assessment of defence systems, together with experience in code development.
We are looking for someone with extensive experience in this field, including technical leadership, covering the following areas:
• Astrodynamics and Orbital Mechanics
• EO and RF Signature analysis for characterisation of RSOs
• An ability to think logically; to decompose a problem into its component parts and to appreciate the interactions between them
• An ability to clearly articulate satellite design aspects and to incorporate these into clear statements of requirements and technical plans.
We'd also like for you to have some of the following skills:
• Mathematical modelling techniques and software (particularly Matlab) as applied to physical models
• Understanding of the space environment
• Understanding of defence architectures
• Sensor design and performance assessment.
Please see the attached job profile for further details about the role.
Degree in Physics or a related Engineering subject.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
Communicating and Influencing
Making Effective Decisions
We'll provide a great range of benefits including;
• Flexible working
• Maternity, adoption or shared parental leave of up to 26 weeks full pay followed by 13 weeks statutory pay and a further 13 weeks unpaid, and paternity leave of 2 weeks full pay
• Chartership and accreditation support
• Generous annual leave
• A competitive salary
• Excellent learning and development
• Onsite gyms and restaurants
• Staff discounts for high street and online shopping, restaurants and days out.
Things you need to know
Successful candidates must pass a disclosure and barring security check.
Successful candidates must meet the security requirements before they can be appointed. The level of security needed is developed vetting.
Selection process details
This vacancy is using Success Profiles, and will assess your Behaviours and Experience.
Following the sift successful candidates will be invited to attend a one hour combined behavioural & skill/experience based interview.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
Open to UK nationals only.
This job is not open to candidates who hold a dual nationality.
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles.
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equality of opportunity. There is a guaranteed interview scheme (GIS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
Apply and further information
Contact point for applicants
Name : Dstl HR Recruitment Team
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Should you wish to raise a formal complaint about the Dstl recruitment process you should email email@example.com stating the nature of the issue. We will respond within 5 working days.
PLEASE NOTE: We strongly recommend that you do not provide your bank account details when applying for a job. If you see a vacancy on LGBT Media requesting bank account details please email firstname.lastname@example.org