Fareham, South East, PO17 6AD : Salisbury, South West, SP4 0JQ
About the job
At Dstl, we protect lives. We take innovative science and technology and use it to keep the country safe. But this work is only possible with support behind the scenes, which is why you’ll be so important to our growing team. Joining us in Administration, Business Support or Security, you’ll be crucial to our daily work. Taking on a range of tasks, you’ll play your part in protecting the UK.
Perhaps you’re just starting your career, or maybe you have some experience. Either way, we’ll give you the chance to build your skills by taking on a variety of responsibilities. Whether you join us in Administration, Business Support or Security, you’ll be working with contacts from across Dstl. That means you need good people and customer service skills as well as a gift for teamwork.
We’re also looking for the ability to meet deadlines and get the job done right first time. If you’re organised and ready to learn and develop, we’ll give you the support to shape an exciting future at Dstl.
This isn’t just an opportunity to build your expertise and a long-term career. You’ll be using your skills to help us keep the country safe. If you’re thinking of where to start your career or are looking for a place to build or enhance your knowledge and skills, clicking apply could be your first step in joining an organization that supports you.
Intrigued? Want to know more? We’re running a series of online Q&A sessions hosted by some of our amazing scientists, engineers and recent graduates who will answer your questions about all our opportunities.
We have a number of roles across all of our support areas. These are the kinds of activities you would be responsible for delivering as part of your team.
• Working within a team providing efficient and timely administrative support across the business and wider division.
• Maintaining and developing effective relationships with other divisions and Service providers to deliver an effective administration service.
• Inputting and updating data accurately on corporate and management systems following information and data handling requirements.
• Ensuring that information is accessible, accurate and controlled to meet Dstl’s information management policies.
• Making continuous improvements to current procedures making efficiency savings whilst considering the internal and external customer experience.
• Responding to enquiries and requests received and where appropriate taking an active approach ensuring a final outcome to the query.
• Assisting as required with wider Operations Division, occasionally providing advice & guidance to colleagues across Dstl.
• Acting as a point of contact for the relevant communications, ensuring the appropriate messages are communicated to the right audience within a controlled manner.
• Providing subject matter expertise in a required business support area.
• Supporting evidence based decisions through the collation and provision of timely and accurate business information.
We are looking for people with a range of experience, skills and backgrounds. You might have experience working in administration, business support, and security or providing support to small or large businesses. You might have left school or college or be in a place where you want to take your career forward to set you up for the future. If this sounds like you and you have the skills below we want to speak to you.
- Communication Skills
- Working to Deadlines
- Planning and Organisational Skills
- Working as part of a team
- Curious and willing to learn
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
Communicating and Influencing
Delivering at Pace
Making Effective Decisions
We'll provide a great range of benefits including;
• Flexible working – Including flexi time, part time working and the ability to work from home.
• A competitive salary
• Generous annual leave (25 days plus 8 Public Holidays. Rising to 30 days upon 5 years continuous service)
• Maternity, adoption or shared parental leave of up to 26 weeks full pay followed by 13 weeks statutory pay and a further 13 weeks unpaid, and paternity leave of 2 weeks full pay • Excellent learning and development
• Onsite gyms and restaurants
• Staff discounts for high street and online shopping, restaurants and days out.
Supporting Diversity and Inclusion
Dstl recognises the importance of diversity and inclusion as people from diverse backgrounds bring fresh ideas. We are committed to building an inclusive working environment in which each employee fulfils their potential and maximises their contribution. We have a number of support networks to ensure all employees feel supported at work. These include the following;
- Sexual Orientation and Gender Network
- Faith and Culture Network
- Parents and Carer Support Network
- Alternative Working Network
- Gender Equality Network
- New Starters Network
- Enabled Network
For further information about Dstl please check out our LinkedIn page
Things you need to know
Successful candidates must pass a disclosure and barring security check.
Successful candidates must meet the security requirements before they can be appointed. The level of security needed is security check.
Selection process details
This vacancy is using Success Profiles, and will assess your Behaviours and Experience.
Applications will be reviewed throughout the campaign with successful candidates being invited for an interview. Details of your interview will be sent via email.
Submitting your application
Here are some Top Tips to help you with completing your application:
1. Your CV. Whether you have a detailed work history or you’re new to producing a CV this is an opportunity to give us an idea of who you are, what you’ve done and what you might be able to offer. Make sure you’re CV shows who you are not just who you think we’d want you to be.
2. Your Skills. We all have skills and we want to know about yours. In your application you’ll have a chance to tell us about how your skills match those that we’re looking for. Make sure your application gets across examples of how you’ve used those skills and how you could bring them to work for us.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
Open to UK nationals only.
This job is not open to candidates who hold a dual nationality.
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles.
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equality of opportunity. There is a guaranteed interview scheme (GIS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
Apply and further information
Once this job has closed, the job advert will no longer be available. You may want to save a copy for your records.
Contact point for applicants
Job contact :
Name : Dstl Recruitment Team
Email : email@example.com
Recruitment team :
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Should you wish to raise a formal complaint about the Dstl recruitment process you should email email@example.com stating the nature of the issue. We will respond within 5 working days.
We strongly recommend that you do not provide your bank account details when applying for a job. If you see a vacancy on LGBT Media requesting bank account details please email firstname.lastname@example.org